Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Feedback On Opening Scene

Because it is important to gain feedback from your audience, I polled many members of my audience on how they felt about my opening scene (which was an open-ended question, qualitative) and how likely on a scale from 0-10 they were to watch the full piece should it be a full-length movie (quantitative). I tried to gain opinions from a variety of audience members. 

I had these results emailed to me:




Here are some the of the results:


Dr. Adria Karle (Psychology teacher and college professor):

Yes, I would most likely want to see the movie. However, while I absolutely felt the tension implicit in the trailer, I felt a small disconnect on two levels, one in that this was clearly a Christian University, so the theft seemed odd, (although there may be a purpose to that and is not yet clarified) and two, the guard appeared totally inept, almost as if he was enabling the theft. Again, yes, I would probably want to see it for reasons that may not be your intention, but anyone intrigued to see a movie by the trailer is still a win for the trailer. I would rate the trailer at 8 out of 10, although I do not have a true understanding of what that means as there were no scale parameters provided. Good luck, it seems as if you have something going here!


How likely to see if full length: 8/10


Mrs. Kimberly Pekala (English teacher and college professor):


The opening does a good job of building tension. The erratic series of images leading to the central figure start the build, and the faces turned away from the camera prevent the viewer from focusing on anyone before the introduction of that central figure. The switching dogs is a good tool to initiate that the figure is going to be having flashbacks, which help build a good bit of interest because as the viewer, I started to attempt to build a narrative. It moves right into some action; I don't tend to go for action/suspense kind of stories, as I'm generally motivated by stories that are more character-led, but I'd say I have about an 8/10 chance of staying in it. Despite genre, I find myself curious about what happens next. 


How likely to see if full length: 8/10


Mrs. Caroline Martin: (English teacher):


Despite debilitating flashbacks to terrifying episodes in his past--apparently, our young man slips past the Bible College library's security force, having stolen the complete works of Solzhenitsyn. He's too young to have had the experiences described in The Gulag Archipelago himself--and besides, those horrors took place years ago on another continent... or did they?


I'd say about an 8. I do want to know what has motivated theft rather than borrowing the book. Are we not in present-day SoFlo? Who is this young man, and why is he so terrified?


There is somehow a sense of drag, of losing momentum and speed. Not sure what's responsible for this impression, but if you remove the "running-in-molasses" dream feeling and make it more present/happening right now/immediate, then it'd go up to a 9/10.


I am reminded of the Jason Bourne movies. Big fan of those.


Yay!


How likely to see if full length: 8/10


Marley Ackerman (AICE Media student):


Well, history isn't my genre but this seems action-packed and I do enjoy a good up beat film. 


How likely to see if full length: 10/10


Officer Gasper (school resource officer): 


I like that you have different camera angles and that it has a solid color scheme. 


How likely to see if full length: 6/10


Shayan Shivji (U-Penn acceptee):


Need better transitions.


How likely to see if full length: 9/10


Lexi Schwartzberg (writer): 


Your main character is very attractive and he was directed well. 


How likely to see if full length: 10/10


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


It is useful for me to take constructive criticism to alter the project in the future to have a better reaction with my audiences and to make my film work generally better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ink Concept

 A description of your main character(s). What does your character(s) want? How will your player identify with and get to know the character...